Old 12-03-19, 01:20 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Guess the first thing to learn is balance. Start with a bike that fits and that the saddle can be lowered enough so when sitting, his feet can touch the ground. Remove the pedals. Now you can get him started on a level or slight downhill surface (I'm thinking rim brakes, not coaster since pedals are removed). He can then coast and put his feet down until he gets balancing down and won't worry about falling over, while his confidence builds that he can ride without touching down. Then reattach the pedals and off he goes!
+1 Great advice. I watched the videos and read the research on balance biking, since I was a late learner and the training wheels did nothing for me. 3 kids later, and after learning to transition the oldest from balance to pedal with the pedals off, balance biking is the way to go. Then teach proper start, then braking, then raise the seat for better ergonomics, and it'll be like he was born on the bike.
Pedals have 15mm flats that an open wrench can fit, make sure they're on the right side (likely marked with an R and L) so you don't cross thread, since the LH pedal uses a LH thread.