View Single Post
Old 02-28-21, 07:08 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Building new wheels for my '79 Fuji America.

Origin8 LD-2100 hubs, silver Sapim Laser spokes with silver-plated Sapin brass nipples, Pacenti Brevet 700c 36H roles.

Prepping the spokes.

4-cross.

These spokes are very thin, so I drew alignment lines with a Sharpie to keep an eye on windup. I probably also should have used pliers or a cable-holding tool to hold the spokes: it would have made the adjustments at high tension easier, and probably been better for the spokes than just winging it.

Tubeless tape for tubeless rim. Cotton tape would have built the rim bed too high, and this should serve as a smoother bed for the latex tubes as well.

Genuine SunTour high-performance aerodynamic wheel cover. Definitely not a spoke protector.

Wheels fully assembled with 28mm GP5000 tires, Vittoria 25/28mm latex tubes, and a Shimano TZ20 6-speed 14-28 freewheel. A SunRace freewheel would look nicer, but both times I've tried SunRace freewheels, the bearings began to fail within a few hundred miles. So Shimano it is.

This is the kind of pics and write up I can never seem to do. Thanks.