Old 07-15-19, 07:27 PM
RoadSurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
@RoadSurfer

Very cool video, but I don't agree with riding on that type of road in the manner that you are.

I commute to work 3-4 days a week with weekend rides as well and I am very comfortable riding in traffic especially with a simple, painted bike lane. But riding in the inner lanes of a fast, limited access road strikes me as nearly suicidal. The drivers in Dharahn and Khobar seem much more courteous and patient than anywhere I've ever ridden.

Your average speed is 29.2kph, about 18 mph. Traffic on those roads looks to be traveling more than double that speed.

My other issue is how low the velomobile sits. It's not as low as some recumbent trikes, and it does have more visibility to it, but it still seems dangerous.

I don't know if I'm getting old and I'm becoming more risk-adverse, or if I'm just jealous because, to be honest, your ride looks like a complete blast and traffic seems to accept you.

Two questions...
Do you have mirrors?
What kind of lighting do you employ, if any?

Anyway, thanks for posting your video.
I am guessing you are getting old,
But seriously, this has been a regular commute for me for years, check this black and white old video of me going through the same road , it will even look different before building the new bridges, using a bent

This is also a night ride on the same road, very old videos
same ride divided into two videos, before youtube allowed more than 10min of stream

I will try to subtitle these videos also, as they are more educational regarding how to ride.

regarding speed, according to my knowledge and experience, If speeds of vehicles around are 80KM\H or less, then driving your bike should not be an issue on such a road traffic wise, easy to maneuver and change lanes, easy to see, easy to bypass.
My choice of my lanes are according to my reception and intuition on what is the best lane to use for me, I tend to use the right most lane 5% of the time, the majority would be the 2nd from the right and even the 3rd depending on traffic,