Old 04-16-15, 08:17 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, apparently Hell has frozen over because I now riding a steel bike

How heavy is it? The frame and uncut fork are 2.77kg/6.11lbs. It's not light, but for an XXL frame it's good! It feels like a 57cm BT felt when I lifted one...or the 57cm 2010 Felt TK1 (before the revamped UCI legal fork change which is lighter).

I'll put on race wheels and weigh it this week.

I rode and raced it for the first time today. The geometry feels really good. Really neutral. Similar to the Dolan DF3 and my Tiemeyers mainly because of the 74 deg head tube angle, 30mm offset fork, and long wheel base that they all share. Bumps were noticably less harsh than with my Tiemeyer. The bump/vibration dampening felt like my Dolan DF3. I did a few cautious (80%) standing starts and I felt no flex. Seth said that he took my size and strength into consideration with his tube choices. Seems to be working. I'll do some 100% standing starts this weekend. Hopefully I won't need to use chain tensioners.

I'm very happy with this bike.

As a guy who has "been to the mountain top" and owned a lot of the super high-end bikes (LOOK 496, Felt TK1, Dolan DF3) I never thought I'd be this pleased with a steel bike.
Should have went with a quill stem...

Very nice. Glad you like steel. I think more would enjoy it, if they tried it, but I understand the reluctance of the younger guys, because it's not what they grew up with. It's to much like "dads bike".

My steel pista weighs in at exactly 20 lbs, although I wasn't going for a weight weenie. I could probably take another pound off with lighter wheels and tubulars...

Enjoy!