Old 12-25-17, 03:39 AM
MovingViolation

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe

The "shot-in" tube construction provides a different feeling when riding the bike, you can feel this when comparing the Jubilee and the SST that otherwise seem very similar.
Could you please elaborate further? I appreciate that it's difficult to describe subjective impressions.

Given that the point of a space frame is to provide vertical/lateral/torsional rigidity with zero concessions toward compliance (that's what suspension is for on a Moulton), how might varying tube alloy / dimensions / joining technique affect ride feel? At least in a first order view, the rider's body 'sees' a totally rigid space frame + suspension parts + wheels. viz space frame components are inside a black box.

Of course, I realise that this back of envelope engineering diagram isn't 100% correct. I imagine that (say) a Jubilee space frame is made out of somewhat better alloy tubes and the SST's is made out of somewhat more gas pipe / pot metalish tubes. So Esprit might weigh less. Also higher order harmonics which get through the suspension might be better damped by Esprit for some combination of construction material/method factors.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, and just thinking out loud here trying to understand the why of it.

I *do* happen to own an SST, but have no axe to grind cf BoA Moultons with brazed shot in construction. I've never had the opportunity to ride one of these and am genuinely interested in trying to understand why their ride quality might be better.

NB: for the purposes of this discussion let's ignore New Series Flexitor type suspensions.

Last edited by MovingViolation; 12-25-17 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Changed from Esprit to Jubilee as an example of BoA Moulton. More valid counterexample as Jubilee has shot in tubes.