Old 08-17-19, 01:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Year to date bicycle injuries/deaths are up significantly from year to date bicycle injuries/deaths from last year. While the deaths number is noise, the injury numbers are not noise.

Million bicycle trip numbers haven't been released yet by the city for 2018 or 2019 (lags a bit), but the increase in injuries is well outside of being caused by any plausible increase in million bicycle trips this year.

So sorry you can't "crap" your way out of the bad news with noisy denominators.

You can't even throw other "crap" to get your way out of this bad news.

Number of total motor vehicle crashes ytd last year was greater, number of motor vehicle crashes ytd last year without injury was greater, but the number of motor vehicle crashes ytd with injury or death is statistically the same.

New York City has open data. Use the source Luke.

-mr. bill
Even for you, that's exceptionally snotty. It's also dishonest use of quotes and statistics. You quoted one sentence of my post out of context, then proceeded to misuse "trend" language in just the way the rest of my post said. You're claiming that a difference between the first 7 months of 2019 and the same period in 2018 indicates a suddenly more dangerous riding environment, ignoring that the same dataset you're using indicates a very steady and huge decline in the risk of riding in NYC from 2001 to 2018. That's spin. You have no idea what is causing this increase between the two years, and it could easily be random fluctuation or maybe something as simple as more people riding in 2019's weather than 2018.

I get that bicycle advocacy is all in for using "sky is falling" rhetoric about dangers to try to spur action, but long-term, I think it's a self-defeating strategy. It's discouraging to people who might want to try cycling and, in the case of NYC, if you actually convince people that things have gotten worse at the same time a bunch of infrastructure was put in, you're playing right into a "then why bother" backlash that will work against further improvements.