View Single Post
Old 03-01-20, 06:52 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Schraeder "valve creep"

All of my bikes have presta valves, in many cases with those tubular aluminum adapters that allow the presta stem to fit snugly in a rim drilled for schraeder stems.

I'm now building up a touring bike for a friend. It has those indestructible Araya rims that came on so many Japanese bikes from the 80s. They're drilled for schraeder stems, and I'm thinking that I might just install schraeder tubes, since I have a bunch of them that I ordered by mistake a year ago.

Here's the question, though: How does one prevent schrader tubes from creeping around the rim so that after a few months the valve stem is pointed off at a crazy angle, rather than right at the hub? That's one of the things that bothers me about schraeder valves (another is that the stems get packed full of mud if you lose the valve cap). Is there a simple solution to that issue (preventing valve creep, not keeping mud out of the valve stem)?

EDIT: Note that this is not a general question about the relative advantages and disadvantages of presta and schraeder valves. That dead horse has been well beaten. Just looking for a solution to the valve-creep problem. And yes, I know that it's a bigger problem at low pressures.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 03-01-20 at 07:12 PM.