View Single Post
Old 03-22-20, 02:38 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I went to my local bike shop the other day and they said not to worry about it, probably because I was buying a new bike. One of their customers had done a massive ride on the same bike without problems so I think I'm good. The frame is 14 years old now so I'm sure if it was going to break, it would have failed by now.

I just wasn't really used to seeing fully loaded frame flex on a bike, but I have heard it's a normal thing. But I'm still getting a touring bike because I want a bike built for the job and since I was hospitalized years ago on a mountain bike crash I'm finding I need a more relaxed position for anything over 50miles or 7 hours as the neck starts to hurt like hell otherwise. Basically, even with small things it didn't leave any room for emergency food rations and it's a bit disconcerting riding a fully loaded bike that you can lit the front end with your little finger because it's so light.

This thread and my own personal testing did convince me to buy a new bike though and I think when we're allowed to go touring again I'll be much happier on a surly disk trucker and the current bike will remain the good old faithful daily / commute bike.

From my own personal experience I'm glad I did some equipment testing before actually going touring and riding the miles I would need to ride and carrying all the stuff I'll need. Plus I've been riding more and further and using the bike more and enjoying riding more,

Hopefully get the new bike before I can go on the first week long tour, otherwise I'll put old faithful to good use.

Last edited by JayKay3000; 03-22-20 at 02:42 PM.