Old 03-14-23, 10:03 AM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Bike buying decisions: Domane, Allez, Defy

I have a 2019 2017 Domane ALR4 (Tiagara group) which has been my main bike. This winter, I set the Domane up as a trainer and really enjoyed it.

Spring is coming, and I'd like to ride again on the road, but I'd like a bike dedicated to the trainer so I don't have to haul one in/out of the basement and can get in mid-week rides if the weather is bad. I ride mainly 1 hour rides, with occasional 90 minute rides, and a very rare, once-in-a-while 2 hour ride. I'm over 50, fairly flexible and still in decent shape, but am no athlete. I don't race, and I don't do long endurance rides. Just comfortable, fun riding for exercise and stress relief, and I do like to go as fast as I can. (edit: I should add I've had the Domane professional fit in January, and it's working for me on the trainer).

I've been shopping the used boards and bike shops since December. Here are the best choices I have seen:

Near to me on Craigslist is an aluminum Specialized Allez 105 group set at a good price. It's a little tired, but still in decent enough shape. I have also been looking at a Carbon Giant Defy 2 105 group set at a local shop at what is the top of my price range.
  1. Option 1- get the Allez and put it on the trainer and put the Domane on the road. Reasons for this -- Domane has wider tires and iso speed, so maybe a bit more comfortable
  2. Option 2- get the Allez and put that on the road and leave the Domane on the trainer. Reasons for this are the Allez is lighter and a bit more aggressive, but it is likely less comfortable on our local, crappy roads (narrower tires, no ISO seat post connection)
  3. Option 3 - spend up +$2K over the Allez to get the Giant, make that the new road bike and keep the Domane on the trainer. Reasons for this are - New bike! Carbon! Light on the road! Reasons NOT to do this -- $$$ and the global economic collapse (/jk -- or at least I hope I'm just kidding)
I think the choices are really #1 or #3. I don't think #2 is what I want.

So, the two questions I have to figure out - A) is the Giant worth +2K on the road for 60 minute rides over the Domane (i.e. does it get me a much better/faster/fun ride), and B) as the Allez is more aggressive, and I'm used to an endurance geometry, will I find the Allez a bad fit as a trainer?

Last edited by WT21; 04-09-23 at 08:13 PM.