Old 06-25-11, 04:35 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iconicflux
I wear shorts over my lycra unless it's night time. At night I'll ride without the extra shorts but I have found that funny things happen when I'm in the lycra. For example, last week I was doing a quick 10 mile loop around the city here. It was a Saturday night about midnight and I'm wearing my flashing safety vest. Part of the loop goes right through downtown so the people at the bars had lots of time to see me coming. They lined up to razz me, laugh, etc. I mean, they were lined up all alone the little fence of the bar. So I'm riding by getting cat calls, whistles, laughs, and any abuse these clown throw at me and have to stop at the light right there. The next thing I know there's some women that I hear saying, "What are you laughing for? YOU can't do that." Heh.. apparently it's a lot more enjoyable to make fun of someone when other people don't know you're out of shape. Half of the bozos stopped immediately after that.

Personally, I couldn't care less what they think as long as they're not throwing anything at me. Ohhh.. I look bad in lycra? Bah! What guy doesn't?

I'm actually considering getting some lycra shorts. I'm getting sick of the rashes that my tighty whiteys leave on my upper thighs. Only problem is, I have no idea what size to wear. I'm about a 52 waist now, and still shrinking. I was miraculously able to find a brand of cotton/polyester gym shorts that fit me nicely in size 2XL, which is fortuitous, because the damn things cost twice as much in 3XL+.

However, I can't seem to find any large lycra shorts; everything stops at 2XL. I'm tempted to try the 2XL's, but since they're supposed to be tight, I'm worried about them being too tight... Anyone have any suggestions?