View Single Post
Old 10-18-13, 04:38 PM
Gnosis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Hmmm. Having trouble visualizing that. What holds it in place? The skewer?
My RoadMaster had a Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur (TY21) which includes its own hanger.

However, I wanted to install a Shimano Acera M360 8-speed rear derailleur as they wrap around the smaller 11 thru 13 teeth cogs much better than the TY21, as I wanted to use an 8-speed 11-32 cassette. But the Acera M360 directly bolts onto an existing hanger, so when removing the TY21 there was nothing for the M360 to bolt to.

Remedy: I purchased a universal hanger like the one pictured on the left in the picture above your post (from Sunrace). The hanger works great.

Biker395, there’s a flange around the inside of the circular portion of the hanger (which the picture doesn’t reveal) which fits into the rear drop slot, then the bolt shown in the left picture is tightened to the frame to retain the hanger. The inside flange ensures that the hanger can’t rotate, as it catches within the slotted drop and the skewer (in addition to its retaining bolt) also serves to keep the hanger stationary.

I made the same upgrade to my friend’s 21-speed Huffy Monaco when he decided to go 24-speed. The Sunrace hanger only costs about $2 and typically works with Shimano rear derailleurs.

Hope this helps.