Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Thanks - the western end is not too far from the TransCanada at Kicking Horse Pass - do you think many people incorporate Highway 11 into a cross-country ride? (Or maybe they would if they knew about it?)
Not very many people know about it. The popular touring route is between Jasper and Banff on the Icefield Parkway. Saskatchewan River Crossing is on the intersection of the Icefield Parkway and Hwy 11, but most people don't venture out there. If they did, they'd go from the relatively heavy traffic of the Icefield Parkway, and the somewhat bumpy shoulders (erosion from freezing and thawing + traffic) of the Icefield Parkway onto the delightfully smooth, quiet and remote Hwy 11.

There are campgrounds along Hwy 11 (Rowan and I have stayed in a couple of them) and the David Thompson Lodge. As you get closer to Nordegg there are a few more small lodge-type things and a HI Hostel just outside Nordegg (where we've also stayed a couple times). So there is accommodation. And you can get food and a few supplies at the David Thompson Lodge, at a little convenience shop in the middle of nowhere, and at Nordegg. However, I wouldn't guarantee mobile phone coverage.

There is a good chance you'll spot wildlife along here. We've seen bear (grizzly and black), wolves (beautiful silver), and mountain goats ... and there are rumours of mountain lions.

If someone were doing a cross Canada tour, I would recommend going up the Icefield Parkway (it is beautiful), then perhaps back down to SRC and out Hwy 11 to Red Deer, then meander down to Drumheller and take in the badlands, museum, etc. But you would have to enjoy solitude and quiet.

The Edmonton Bicycle Club sometimes does rides from Nordegg out to SRC and back as a day-tour or hub-and-spoke tour. I rode with them once, and a group of us did a hike at Siffleur Falls, mid-ride.

Last edited by Machka; 06-09-14 at 10:11 PM.