View Single Post
Old 01-08-16, 12:00 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Unlike most people that want to spend great deals of time on a bike, I want Lots of creature comforts. Not riding from Hotel to Hotel comfort, but more comfort than just a blanket to throw on the ground. The 1st and most important comfort is Full Suspension, for both me and my gear. 2nd, I Want to be able to cook real meals when I choose, using wood for fire when available, gas when necessary and never have a problem accessing fire. 3rd, I want to be able to use a Hammock when I can, a Bivy when most easy, and throw up a large 4 season, 4 person tent to spend a few days in one place. 4th, I don't like mummy bags so a two person sleeping bag was a must, and that also meant two air mattresses. 5th, 6th, 7th, etc., Lots of camera equipment, a pc, actual furniture, lighting for multiple environments. Several tarps and ground cover combinations. Every convenience for dealing with water, filtration, storage, washing, transporting and so on. Tools including ax, saw, hammer, knives, and anything needed to maintain the bike. Again, not the average rider trying to save grams. All this mass means two things, money and weight. I'm not a superman, very far from it, one of the reasons I wanted to start this adventure in the first place. I needed an edge. With lots of research I chose to have a BaFang/8Fun 750w motor mounted. That with a 50v, 24.8aH battery will hopefully allow me to carry the additional comforts that I want and travel anywhere a bike can be peddled.
What's your range with that motor and battery?

With all that gear you are only going to pedalling unassisted on dead flats and downhill.

Does the motor have a clutch so that you can avoid its drag when pedalling unassisted?