View Single Post
Old 01-08-16, 01:33 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
I can't give you any numbers on distance, but I bet you are smart enough to know the answer will be that it depends on load and terrain. You are correct in thinking that when riding uphill assist will always be needed. Although I see people riding with loads equal to what I will be carrying and they are using only food for fuel. The nice thing about the BaFang motor is that you can pedal at anytime and add torque which will extend the battery life, uphill, down hill, or across Florida. You are close enough to use the help of these guys, Grin News. Most everything you need will be available with them, hardware, software, and best of all batteries!
Bummer about the dyno hub. Hopefully Peter W will sort you out. I have dealt with him several times and not had any issues/complaints.

The range will vary of course, but with some use you'll have an idea of how far you can go under a few typical conditions. This will be important info so you can plan your routes and recharge spots.

If you are very fit/strong you can push a heavy load by leg power alone over normal touring distances or you can reduce your distances significantly if you are not a strong rider to whatever is manageable.

Thanks for the link. I'm an ultralight tourist and the last thing I want on my bike is a motor and battery. I was just curious about the range of the system you were using with a heavy load. I haven't kept up to date on ebikes and was wondering what sort of performance you could get these days.

I have tested ebikes before and the one issue I had was that without using the motor assist there was a ton of drag due to the motor which was why I asked if you had a clutch you could disengage the motor from the system. That way you just have to deal with the added weight of the motor and battery.