View Single Post
Old 08-29-16, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
I slowed down and starting weaving into the pack of other riders waiting at the light....

Great example of one reason I retired from the ride. It's especially annoying when slower riders weave their way to the front of the pack at a light. When the light turns green, the faster riders have to pass them again.

Swarming cars at lights is another example of bad behavior. For years I used vacation days on the Friday before the event to put out most of the safety and other signs you see along the route. Get out of the car, grab a sign from the back seat, place it in the ground, get back in the car, drive a couple of miles, get out of the car, grab another sign, place it in the ground, get back in the car...lather, rinse, repeat for some 50 miles.

Those signs included "Don't Swarm Cars", which are placed at the crossings of major highways where the lights are long. Yet without fail people would swarm cars. Imagine if it were you in your car waiting at a light at, say, U.S. 322 and all of a sudden you have 20 or more cyclists surrounding your vehicle.