Old 06-20-18, 02:22 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Chas58's experience mirrors mine - their fit guide seems way the &$#*@ off. I'm barely over 6'0" and had been fitted on a 61cm road bike (yeah, really long legs) twice by different fitters. But, lately have been happily riding 58s - albeit with a lot of seatpost and a 120mm stem. So, I got a "58" or XL Grail. It feels bigger than my 58cm Scott Foil, but is still not as big as my 61cm Scott Addict. So, I ended up getting lucky with the Grail's size.

My friend - after hearing all about my Grail - just bought an Ultimate. He's always ridden 58s. He's exactly 6' with just slightly long legs. But the XL Ultimate was way too big. We assembled. He sat on it. Said "Holy S***!" and we put it back in the box. He's currently waiting for a L "56" to become available. Canyon's fit guide said he and I should be on Mediums.

My only advice - assuming you can't hop on a friend's Canyon - is to consider that the Canyon's appear to run big. If you're on the fence, grab the smaller of the two.

Oh, and unpack the bike how we did: Open the box, take a picture. Remove a strap, label it and take a picture. Etc. Etc. We literally labeled every strap/pad and took lots of pics. It slowed the unpacking. But, we had it back in the box in 5 min.
I'd have to have the ceiling on my credit card to make buying two bikes work, lol. I don't. Sob.

But @Zaskar, if you have really long legs, you should, like me, need a shorter top tube/reach! Why were those fitters putting you on such huge bikes? I'm 5'9" with a 34" inseam, and it took me a while to realize I needed to size the bike by my torso--I have the torso of someone about 5'6" or 5'7"!

Anyway, looking at the Endurace vs the Grail, it really looks like the "reach+" is just a measurement to the bars--so reach plus stem, basically. I'm thinking I might be able to subtract the stem length from the "reach+" to get the standardized reach number. Does that make sense?

If I do that, the SM Grail appears to have a shorter reach than the Endurace? (439-75=364, vs 376 for the Endurace.) 364 is a little short for me, I think, without the ability to put a longer stem on, but the next size up seems too long. It's all a little crazy, because it's not like you can just fit a longer/shorter stem to make it work for you! GO HOME CANYON, YOU'RE DRUNK!

Now, the Endurace, I could fit either a XS or SM. They sit right around my Domane. (I'm on a 52 with a 100mm stem rather than the 90mm that came with it; making the "reach+" 371 +10mm = 471)

This is going to take some pondering, I guess. (Not that I have the money right now. Lol. But I will in a week or so, hopefully. And the grail is REALLY compelling! Most interesting bike I've seen in a long time!)