Old 01-04-19, 08:54 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Studs in MN

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
For races and more aggressive riding (ie twisty single-track), I like front and rear studded tires. The small number of winter races I've done, they have all included some lake ice or refreeze sections that will hurt you with out studded tires. If I get into more winter races, I want to get a set of Bud and Lou tires for races without ice, friends tell me they are a great combo on snow.

OTOH I like studded front only for commuting on roads or MUPs.
thanks for the information. I stopped by my local bike shop...for cleats of course, asked if they had any reasonable fat bikes...picking up the shop owner’s Pugs as my new to me fat bike. Currently setup tubeless with the 120 tpi Nates( I have yet to read a review that found any flavor of Nates to not be slow rolling). He also suggested front and rear studded tires for my intended use. I have one groomed trail I can ride nearby, not technical in the slightest, but everything else’s will likely have a bit of scattered ice. I cringe at the price of tires, so am going to try the 120 tpi studded cake eaters. Sad that $300 for tires seems “reasonable,” lol.