acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
In a few months my daily commute will be shortening down to two miles. Since I have to wear dress clothes (ties, slacks, etc.), I've always worn bike gear and changed at work. But with this short distance, I think I'd like to save some time and effort and just ride to work in my dress clothes (and rain gear over the top of that in the winter).

I'm trying to figure out the perfect commuter for year round riding that would be comfortable to ride in dress clothes. I think the ride is flat enough that I can get away with a single speed bike to cut down on maintenance and also to keep the bike cleaner. The ride will be mostly on residential streets and bike paths.

So far this is what I'm toying with, and I'd love to hear your feedback:

-Aluminum track frame with carbon or steel fork (depending on what I end up buying)
-Coaster brake in the back to simplify the design, on a 700c wheelset
-I've considered putting a disc brake on the front as a backup, but I'm going back and forth about whether I want to add the clutter and maintenance of another brake. Part of me thinks if I did his, maybe I might as well just run disc brakes front and back, but I've kind of liked the idea of just the coaster brake.
-Originally had thought about using drop bars, but maybe something more upright would be a better idea for comfort while riding in dress clothes?
-Full fenders and a chain guard to keep things clean

Any other thoughts?
European city bike with street clothes, no reason to make this complicated.

Essentials include: IGH, dynamo, fenders, inexpensive.

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...gates-830-2019

Day in, day out, you won't beat this bike. Should last about 10 years of daily with zero adjustment/maintenance. Leave it outside and bikes don't belong inside.