Old 06-08-19, 08:01 PM
susiefoster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
suggestions for 4' tall rider

Hi,
I am 4'11" and somewhat familiar with needs of short people! One bike you might look at is the Sanyo Eneloop ebike. It's old now, and not very powerful, but easy to ride and quite light and approachable. Very low step over height. I do ebike rides through Airbnb here in Boston and I have one which I bring out for riders who are timid. There was one on Ebay for a while at $750, which I think is too high for the age it is (2008, probably) but you could keep your eyes out for one. Battery life would be an issue but you can have it re-celled for about 400 or so.

I also have a Kalkhoff Sahel compact bike and that's also an option for a smaller rider. I had an 11 year old riding it the other day - I think he was probably 4'5" or so. Unfortunately Kalkhoff has stopped dealing in the US but you might find a used one.
You should also look into the Haibike Hard 4 mountain bike - 24" wheels, and designed precisely for kids with a 12 MPH maximum speed. They were on sale last year - maybe they have been discontinued for who wants to spend $3000 for kids' ebike? but you might find one somewhere. I would have perhaps gotten one for myself except for the 12 MPH speed limitation. I'm a new member so not allowed to post a URL but if you go to electricbikereviewDOTcom and search for haibike hard 4 you'll find the review by Court Rye of this bike. It's quite flashy bright yellow - I would love it!
Good luck finding a bike for your kid! Let us know what you find!
Susie
Susie
Susie
Likes For susiefoster: