View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 05:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
problem is, you’ve reached the point that that ‘extra’ lightness is going to cost you. So you can either compromise and go with a bit heavier wheelset, or start saving your pennies. You’ll really just have to ask, is it really worth it, because you have a pretty decent idea already what it’s going to cost, and what kind of wheels you’ll be getting. If i had your bike, what I would be asking myself: ‘is it worth the cost to obtain this goal, and how much will it really help my performance, or am I just doing this to make the bike lighter on paper?’ And as a subsequent question: ‘could I make up the difference in weight by working on my performance and fitness?’
Yeah, see, that's the thing right there. I'm just trying to talk/think it through and this thread has been a help.

1400 to 1500 grams seems to be the break point where cost goes way up, @IAmSam's suggestion notwithstanding.

If I could find 1200 gram wheels cheap enough then I'd think about it but right now the answer is no, nothing is compelling me to get rid of the 1600 gram wheels. They are fine and the bike flies but I'm open to suggestions.