View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 04:16 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
That kind of strobe is pretty pointless - as you've pointed out you can't even see where you're going yourself. I've very occasionally switched my light to it when crossing a poorly designed road intersection, but the usual sequential mode switch is a bad user interface.

What would really be useful would be being able to switch to that mode with a momentary press of a button; then when you've called attention to yourself release the button to go back to a normal light-your-way light and keep it out of the other parties eyes. Another reason I prefer to have my primary pathfinding light on my helmet - additionally even a properly aimed bright bar light is in the eyes of oncoming riders when there's a change in grade between you - you can be stuck riding along holding a hand up to block their light surprising periods of time. If I do run a bright bar light, it's for secondary area lighting long after dark on a deserted trail, and because it's secondary to the primary aimed wherever my head is, I can turn it off or cover it with a gloved hand in the rare cases there is anyone else.
That's a good idea, easily enough done with a thumb switch and bell wire. Mine is activated by a thumb button for my e-bike's computer, the headlight symbol comes up on the screen when it's on. In my case then i have that but i have to press and hold a second, so switching between modes is a little clumsy. I don't ride on roads though, so i only have teenagers texting on their phones to worry about.