Thread: Rain riding
View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 04:36 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by moto367
So what are your "rules of thumb" for deciding to ride in the rain or not? Silly question I know...
We've had a ton of rain here this year and it's hampering my ride time. When I was younger I'd just go. Being older I find my motivation level dropping with less than ideal conditions. Is it age or pussitus? I'm thinking the latter. Anyway, when do you all decide that the rain is too hard, too wet or whatever to go ride in?
Agreed with your assessment that it's the latter.

Unless you're afraid to take showers for fear that the water is too hard or too wet, why not ride (unless lightning is an issue)?

Rain will neither hurt you nor your bike -- doesn't matter if it's made of steel. The only negative effect is you'll get significantly greater wear on rims and drivetrain components because the grime works like grinding paste. Also more flats because water hides small sharps, makes them stick more readily to your tires, and lubes them so they can penetrate more easily.

If you ride in everything, you realize it's no big deal which makes all riding even more enjoyable.