Old 06-20-19, 12:54 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I just ran some geometry calcs through a CAD program and given the 72° HT + 2" of ST length/height increase, the top tube is effectively lengthened only 1.1cm. And at an effective 60.1cm, I can ride that. Straddling the bike would be..interesting. I may be high-centering a touch, so the bike would be super French fitting.

Guess who needs another tourer like a hole in the head, but is now looking to find 27" ST's???

$50 for that bike...just, don't want to think about how incredible a deal that is! Black touch-up paint will work extremely well on that.

I know exactly how I would 'stormtrooper' build that white ST of yours. I even have all the parts!

I need to stop going down this mental path..........
For your reference, the bike I have is 27" from center of bottom bracket to TOP of top tube. The top tube is 24" from center of head tube to center of seat tube.

Well they say that you should ride the biggest tourer possible - whoever they are. I guess the concept there is less stop and go, so standover complications aren't as relevant ? Blackburn racks are a dime a dozen around here so I have a few. I've also been meaning to pick this up for $10, just because my idea continues to percolate.

I've had the idea of painting front and rear racks to match a bike for a while now. Obviously black or white bike are the only ones that I would ever attempt. My idea was that the racks would look like they were built as part of the frame. A white skeletal structure then offset with the obvious black. It works in my head - but always the danger that it may look corny. Initial tests with the rear rack had me wanting to lengthen the rack legs (tall frame) to get the look I wanted - and that curtailed my idea. Other projects and life have gotten in the way since. I even wondered about a pvc tube tool carrier to mount on the bottom water bottle bracket to act as a mud flap as well.

Would also have to decide on shifters since it's 73 feet from top tube to shifter mount and I'm just getting too old for that nonsense. As I said in another thread, I'm currently wanting to do an A050 type shifter - gasp - and a touring bike would be the perfect specimen. I guess I'm one of the few that thinks the A050 was a great idea. Just don't know if the quality is up to snuff. I also just recently picked up 105 brifters and Utegra brifters ($40 each from the same seller) and an entire, and I mean entire, right down to the chain and cassette Tiagra 10 speed groupset off of a Trek Emonda - wheels and tires included for $125. Dude had money and went with Sram Red electronic. It's even the same crankset that I spoke of in the Schwinn thread that I have fallen for (white and lime Paramount gets the credit). The Mad Max of cranksets. (needs different crank arms though to match IMO). I need to find more time to build as I've definitely fallen down the rabbit hole of buying. Grrrrr.

I'll let you know if the black frame falls into my lap. Maybe there's a deal to be made in the mess of stuff I have. Still haven't touched the 434 yet either.
Anyway, sorry about the rambling.

Last edited by sdn40; 06-20-19 at 02:12 PM.