View Single Post
Old 12-20-04, 07:42 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by netso
First of all I must say that I am in pretty good shape. I am 61yo, having a resting heart rate of 44, LT of 28, and a 41 VO2. However, I have HBP. I was given ADALAT, and LOPRESSOR. Since then I have experienced Nose Bleeds, Flushing, Muscle Soreness, tiredness,fatigue, insomnia. These are supposedly common side-effects. The result on my biking is like I gained 20 lbs. It has really slowed me down.
What other medications if any are any of you taking? Do you experience the same? Let me know.
I was amazed when I was diagnosed with HBP at about your age - I am now 64. I had always had extraordinarily low BP (was a professional airline pilot), and like you my resting pulse is 44. Mine was controlled with Cozaar, and then when it was higher than I would like (but high normal), we added 10 mg of Lotrel to the mix and now my BP stays around 115/high 70's. No side affects whatsoever.

Rather than deal with a GP, I went directly to a Neprhologist who specialized in treating high BP. We were immediately successful after determining that the high BP was not being caused by some physiological condition. With modern medicines, you should be able to completely control your BP, and enjoy kicking the butt of the youngs studs on the sprints!