Old 03-12-22, 08:09 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
So, we’re you fillet brazing those frames because of cost or lack of availability of lugs? Perhaps it was cheaper for a smaller operation, or maybe a strength advantage?
You might have noticed that the Super Sport with the blue primer is the one you gave me to sell for our Ukraine Project. Thanks again!

Fillet brazing allowed me to design the frame to fit the widest (size wise) possible number of people. The straddle size over the middle of the top tube is 30 1/2". From years of measuring customers for custom frames, I know 90% of males are able to stand over a top tube of that height. The head tube length above the top tube is longer than typical. This allows the adjustable stem to be raised a little higher for tall people. The top tube slopes at a 6º angle to help me achieve both of those objectives. Brass is economical too so it is a win, win. Fortunately I was able to buy from True Temper at a discount outside butted seat tubes and extra heavy head tubes. Otherwise I would have had to put sleeves for support on the end of the ST and HT. The fillet brazed Super Sport (and its cousins) also use extra heavy head tubes and seat tubes too.

I designed the first batch of frames to be made out of one piece head tubes with sockets for the top and down tube. They came from Miele in Toronto when they went bankrupt. Those 2 sockets are much easier to braze than a full lug. Kostya the guy that began doing the building did not have any natural talent for brazing and so I tried to make it as easy as possible for him. However the top tube of those frames did not slope enough so that limited having smaller riders being able to use those bikes.

Using either silver or brass (actually bronze but builders say brass) or fillet brazing or using lugs is more than strong enough for these bicycles. They could withstand a nuclear blast (maybe that is a poor choice of words in this situation).