Old 10-27-19, 08:22 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
With a garage full of bikes and a crazy, wild, wind driven brush fire approaching, I was taking inventory of what to pack for possible first ever evacuation. Yeah, cats, pictures, passports, important documents, computer, but which bikes? With two cars, and all the other stuff, I decided on just two bikes, my '64 Legnano Roma Olimpiade, had since new, 55 years, my first race bike, old friend, college commuter, first bike to ride after a 20 year layoff, etc. The other bike is a relatively worthless '73 Raleigh Super Course that I built myself from a scrap metal, abandoned frame. My first ever build. I loved building it, learning as I went (lurking on BF). I have other vintage, modern carbon, but these two are my keepers. There is a lot to be said for wrenching your own bike together. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, its worth it! The fire stopped a couple miles from us, no evac required ... this time, but the thought process was a a great exercise. The Legnano has 55 years of nostalgia and love behind it but the Raleigh has nostalgia that I created myself, only 3 years ago.
Yikes! I sure hope it doesn’t come to that, but in any event, be safe!