Old 01-16-18, 08:52 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sciatica is complex and encompasses multiple causes and symptoms. Mine rarely affects my back, but is murder on my right hip and leg.

In any case, the first and (hopefully) best defense is exercise to maintain flexibility and movement.

However, since this is a bike forum, some questions.

Do you have a history of Sciatica and this is just a flame up?
Do how long have you been riding, and what, if anything, is changed over the last 6 months?

These are important because if you have no history of sciatica, and changed anything since June, there's a possibility that the two are linked. For example, a saddle slightly too high can cause your hips to rock and lead to sciatica symptoms. On the flip side, long saddle time in a position that you're not really used to can also cause issues.

So, think about the questions, and as you recover, think about whether the sciatica and cycling may be related and how. Hopefully, with some detective work, you'll find an underlying issue, and by resolving it, prevent future issues.
I've had sciatica before but nothing like this. I did have an episode with my back a couple of year ago that was very painful, but it was only a one-day thing. This has been going on for five days and I the meds are not helping. I have just emailed my doctor that.

Nothing has changed in my riding in the last six months. Same bike and set up.

I suspect that gardening caused the flareup to begin with. That was about a month ago. My back was tight, but didn't keep me from doing anything. This is ridiculous. I can't stand up more than 90 degrees without pain shooting down my back into my leg. I had to take the day off today, as there is no way I could walk from my car to my classroom.