Old 09-23-19, 01:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by acslater55
The reason I feel VBT can be useful is for optimizing / choosing a weight that will maximize power output in the gym. Whether it be squat or sled press. Also it can keep you honest in terms of did you actually give maximal effort on that rep, since you get immediate
feedback on peak velocity. This graph (Force Velocity Curve) shows that there is an optimal weight/velocity for power production. Whether training in this zone actually has any transference to the bike....I don't know. It seems that for an individual exercise you could try lifting different weights up to 1 RM and get your specific force velocity curve for that exercise. Once that is known you can extrapolate which weight/velocity for that weight would be optimal to produce the most power. The graph shows a large range for peak power, but this becomes more narrow when you know the exercise you are doing and have some data to go on. I know many of these devices will actually calculate peak power and average power. Whether this is worthwhile (for someone experienced in the gym), I don't know, but it seems like it would be a good way to train.

What if I told you that your body already does all of these calculations for you when you are in the gym under load in real-time with instant feedback directly to your brain?

Basically, and especially with power movements:

- You know when the load is too light.
- You know when the load is too heavy.
- You know when you moved it too quickly.
- You know when you moved it too slowly.
- You know how to make adjustments to the weight based on: Current energy levels, heat, hydration, mood, etc...
- You know how to make use of external stimulation: Posters, mirrors, music, coaches or training partners yelling motivation.

This diagram:

Shows what you did do, not what you should be able to do.

I can also show you a similar graph of what a track sprinter does on the bike with a Torque vs Tangential Velocity (pedal speed) plot.

I can also tell you what your target peak cadence should be on the bike in order for best performance. It's a magic number that shows up time and again

The key to all of the above is to:

- Learn proper technique in order to achieve the most gains and avoid injury.
- Don't do any half-ass reps (at least don't count them)
- Stay focused when you have load on you to avoid injuries.
- Log all of your work with a notepad or a more sophisticated app.

How do I know:

- I'm a lead data analyst and data engineer for a living.
- I've been lifting at various levels of frequency and intensity since HS (I'm middle-aged now)
- I've been coached by some of the best athletes and coaches in our sport. (even they couldn't make me faster)
- I've read a lot on the subject of athletic training for sport and particularly how it applies to our sport.

(This doesn't mean I'm right. I'm often wrong here. It just means that my opinion is informed, from my limited point of view.)