WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
After the last two days' rides, I should probably make a "David Letterman Top Ten List" of hazards on the MUP:

10. Leaves/debris
9. Walkers in their own world
8. Cars not honoring the "stop for people on trail" rule at road crossings (of which there are many)
7. Little kids walking ahead of their parents and turning around to see where they are
6. Entire family of adults/kids on bikes, weaving all around
5. Kids on bikes, oblivious to what's around them
4. Kids on razor scooters
3. Runners with earmuff headphones who can't hear me yelling "rider coming through" and almost run into me
2. Recreational cyclists who randomly stop in middle of trail
1. "Serious" Tri-geeks zooming on the trail in the full aero position and buzzing everyone

I have learned to yell "CYCLIST COMING THROUGH" which I think makes more sense than "ON YOUR LEFT!" to most people. I also mentally note anytime I see a hazard, slow down, and choose an alternate evasive maneuver trajectory to use if needed. I wonder if I should get a bell for my trail bike.

What bell is best for bullhorn bars??
MUP's are extremely hazardous. I recall when I first got back on pavement after ACL surgery. It was nearly winter, so I figured an easy ride on the lightly populated MUP would be great to keep me away from cars and such. After half an hour of avoiding dogs, joggers, people taking the full lane with side by side strollers, and rude cyclists going for KOP's, I decided I'd rather take my chances playing in traffic.