View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 03:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by booter1234
I also tried this technique and confirmed that the shifter is able to progress through 8 clicks (yes, I have 9 rear cogs). My thinking is that as the tension on the wire builds as I shift down to lower gears, the tension grows enough that the shifter can't lock in the final click. Is this the kind of thing that could be fixed by cleaning the shifter?
If this is the case and all else is correct then your cable tension is too high and the lever's ratchet can't fully engage when the der is in the largest cog. Note the "if all else" clause. One easy mistake to make is to miss run the cable past the anchor bolt. If this happens you've changed the intended amount of der movement with each click and after a bunch of shifts the lever's indexing won't match up with that of the der's positioning under the cogs. Check that the cable is properly routed on the correct side of the bolt. Andyt