View Single Post
Old 09-18-18, 08:21 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Strong isn't the right word for a cyclist IMO. Most pros aren't "strong" in the usual sense.
Why not? Do you object to the use of the term "strong" because there is something else specific, besides the ability to move heavy stuff, that we should be focusing on? Or do we just want to exclude, or at least downplay that sense?

Seems to me that more often than not, describing a person as "strong" means that they have demonstrated a significant willingness and ability to stand up to and survive challenges and adversity - of any sort - that they are likely to succeed in the things they set out to do. Cyclists may not be very accomplished at lifting heavy stuff and ripping things apart, and while that is one well-understood sense of "strong," it's hardly the usual. I know I hear the word used to refer to a person's character or just about any other abilities far more often than I hear people using it to describe anyone's ability to move heavy things around.

Strong can mean winning races.
Strong can mean getting out the door every morning and put miles on the bike.
Strong can mean enduring a course of chemo, or 14 broken bones, or a heart transplant, and getting back to cycling again at all.
Strong is about not giving up.