View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 12:44 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Tandem
... I have attached photos of my Steve Bauer.Sorry about the picture quality - I need to get better lighting for photos I am taking during the dark season here in Vancouver.

-Will

The monotone graphics are indicative of 1986-1987. The earliest evidence I have for the brand dates to 1986 and I went back and checked old advertisements to confirm that the graphics changed for 1988. Unfortunately, there were no examples specific to the Whistler, though it was mentioned in a 1986 advertisement.

Regarding components, the crankset looks era appropriate. The Shimano Z-series front derailluer was available during 1986-1987 and the rear Light Action derailleur appears to be a verison introduced in 1987. However, the derailleur appears to SIS compatible while the shift levers appear to be friction, so the rear derailleur may be a replacement. The brakes appear to be later Exage models and may not be OEM. I'd focus on the front derailleur and crankarms for date codes that may provide a clue to narrow down the model year.

BTW, no need to apologize for the photos. They're better than some I've had to rely upon and I'm well aware of the weather in Vancouver, with my son having attended UVic, across the Strait. At least your weather is mild, with average December temperatures being about 10F warmer than my neck of the woods.