View Single Post
Old 01-28-19, 12:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941

I am not sure this is correct , Vinnie Tortorich does indeed do a lot of endurance sports including cycling and he stays in Keto , doesnt do carbs at all other than what he gets from veggies. I’m not saying carbs are bad , but you seem to be advocating the exact opposite of what I’ve read concerning the fact that your body does convert fat to ketones which your body uses in place of sugars derived from grains etc. People in Ketosis typically get their carbs / sugars from vegetables as Keto is not carb free it’s just processed carbs that are avoided .

However I am not riding the TDF either , just long rides and the occasional tour so I’m not in a hurry to do a century in a set time limit .
You're reading the wrong stuff then. It's very well known and understood that carbohydrates are critical for many types of athletic performance. You simply can't supply anaerobic energy without lots of them. Losing one of your two main energy sources is bad for putting energy into a bike. When I don't eat enough carbs my average power falls 40 to 50 watts. I can still climb hills, but but quickly.

The keto folks are a cult unto themselves. That's very proud of ketosis, so they don't really talk about the downsides. You won't get the whole picture from these folks.