View Single Post
Old 12-28-18, 06:32 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Interesting case study. Thanks for sharing! What e-bike do you have? What are it's pros and cons?
I have this one in a step-through frame: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-9...B2-8-28-E-bike

Disclaimer: I actually work at MEC and the staff discount and employee bike purchase incentive program we have did figure heavily into my selection of this particular model! But I definitely wanted the Bosch mid-drive system for pedal assist, and having fenders, rack, and lighting built in was a plus as well. I can install all of those things, but it's much easier if they come ready to roll.

Pros: WHEEEEEEEEEE it is so nice to be able to ride fast and smooth again and not wheeze and gasp my way up hills. (My body betrayed me a couple of years ago, long story, but I went from extremely athletic to damn nearly housebound in a matter of months. I am getting better, slowly).

I am particularly fond of the way the Bosch Performance Line CX motor can be programmed either in distinct levels (Eco, Tour, Sport, and Turbo) or with the new "eMTB" mode where the motor responds to the rider's cadence and torque applied to the pedals, offering a bit of extra power when needed but not becoming over-powered and jumpy. Battery life is quite good. I am charging it up once a week, about 80km. I've never run it all the way down.

The long wheelbase and low center of mass make the bike extremely stable, even when the panniers are loaded with a lot of cargo, or in winter road conditions. Six inches of snow was pushing it, but that would have been true of any vehicle really. I have a studded tire on the front for steering control, but I've had *no* issues.

Cons: Not many I can think of. This bike is BIG. It's great to ride, but I'm glad I am not trying to haul it in and out of a small space. I have a garage where it can live in lonely splendor!

Last edited by Buglady; 12-28-18 at 07:04 PM.