View Single Post
Old 09-26-19, 10:20 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Based on where I got it (coastal Massachusetts) and the condition, it looks like this bike has spent a good part of it's existence being ridden in triathlons. With ocean swims. So the salt water has dripped on it quite a bit. It needs to be repainted just because of the salt water corrosion. It's still solid, but the surface rust is taking over. I don't trust my LBS to fix it after seeing the half-a$$ job they did with my Shogun. They mentioned nothing about needing new tires on the bike and I didn't notice (and rode it in two triathlons) before I washed the tires and realized the sidewalls were coming off in chunks. The tires themselves fell to dust when I removed them. Heck, they didn't even clean the chain and cassette. I need to find a new LBS.

I needed a bike to ride for training while waiting on new tires for the Shogun, stole my husband's mountain bike and blew not one, but two tires on it within 15 miles. (Oops.) So I'm banned from using that, too. My kid is disappointed that mom won't be riding trails with him.

I just think the Ironman was a bit more of a project than I (and my husband) expected.
That does sound like a bit more than just faded paint and yes you do need a new LBS by the sound if it. As others have said there are lots of options out there in addition to the Ironman you have Cannondale crit bikes, Raleigh made a Scott Tinley Trilite, Peugeot made a tri bike in the late 80s and of course the Ironmans, good luck in your search and post some pics of your current bike, we love pictures. I did see a few chain shots on the sticky thread but post some full profile drive side shots to this thread its where all the Ironman cultists hang out

Oh and in my experience you have to grab those chances to ride with the kids while they're interested in riding with you, fix those flats steal hubbys bike and shred with your kid

A Tri lite I saw at a garage sale in May

Last edited by ryansu; 09-26-19 at 11:10 AM.