View Single Post
Old 06-27-19, 04:06 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I'm 62 and I believe I first rode a bike without training wheels at age 6. My first bikes were banana seat/butterfly handlebar 20" bikes - and both were stolen before I was 10! Freeport NY (Long Island) must have been a hot bed of bike theft, but I was also pretty careless.

After that my father refused to buy me any new bikes, so I essentially built one out of bikes and parts that people left at the curb on the one day a week "big trash" pickup day. My father helped me finish it - it was a 26" 5 speed bike, with the rear derailleur removed because it was broken, the chain shortened and painted black with a can of spray paint. I put butterfly handlebars on it so I could do my Newsday paper route - you had to hang your paper bag on somewhere...

At age 12, three of us realized somehow that Montauk Point was 100 miles from Freeport - and we strapped sleeping bags on and did a century ride before we knew it was called that.

As soon as I could drive, pretty much didn't do much biking until moving to Maryland after college in 1978 - for the last 41 years been having a blast. Last year I crossed off one bucket list ride, going up Going to the Sun Road to Logan Pass in Glacier National Park. This year I'm going to do the 2 day version of the Seattle to Portland Ride, another bucket list item.