View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 11:03 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
As soon as I saw your air pump I knew you were a serious cyclist. I have repaired so many flats for cyclists who should know better than to leave home without a proper tire pump. CO2 cartridges are no better. I've repaired so many tubes for folks whose cartridge ran out during the repair. or had previously leaked out. If you break something more substantial like your chain then maybe you don't have the proper tool to repair it and have to walk home or beg a ride. In my 60 yrs of riding I've had very few instances where a loose stem or broken chain has stopped a ride. Your bike looks great. Your 48 spoke wheel is a plus on the durability scale and probably means that wheel will never be the reason you couldn't complete a ride. The bicycle business is just like the fashion industry in that they sell the latest fad or fashion if you will. Being a bigger person can take you out of the ordinary fashionable bicycle business and put you into the durability market. I reside in that market with you. I ride 36 spoke wheels and on the rear 10 speed hubs I install 13/14 gauge spokes for durability. There are certain rims I stay away from because of previous failures I've experienced with them. I love deep aero rims because they are so rigid and tolerate my weight well. Kedosto got it right when he said we follow a process of discovery and evolution. Come back in a couple of years and the same bicycle may have completely different setups on it. Good luck with your great looking new bicycle.