View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 05:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
This might be an odd question, but would it be rude to ask to join a smaller group ride while they are already moving?

I'm more of a "lone wolf" cyclist, but I ride 15 miles daily and can do so in an hour, maybe even a couple minutes under. I've occasionally passed a group of riders going the opposite direction. They are definitely coordinated, wearing proper kit and all on road bikes. (I'm usually riding an older MTB with pavement friendly tread and t-shirt with skateboarder shorts and shoes... (I have finally gotten into the habit of always wearing gloves and helmet...))

Just wondering if shouting "Mind if I follow at a distance?" would be against road etiquette I guess... Would you find that rude or strange? I have a grasp of group hand signals and I wouldn't be doing it for drafting purposes -- Mainly just curious if I could keep up and hang with them.

...That and it would be really neat to find a local group to actually ride with.
What exactly do you mean by coordinated? Are they all wearing the same kit? If so, that's probably a team/club ride and it would be weird and awkward for all involved if you just asked to hop on. On the other hand, if they're all wearing different kit, it might be a loosely organized ride and they might be fine with riders just joining in.
Likes For caloso: