Old 08-16-19, 09:38 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Been trying to figure out the Simplex derailleur on my '78 PR10. Recently the chain is dragging between the big gear and jockey wheel. The derailleur is leaning forward at a different angle than most other Simplex that I see. I have a long cage Simplex that I'm thinking of trying, except it has a mounting claw attached, and this one is direct mount. Not sure if I can remove the claw and just bolt it on, or if it will screw up the pivot spring. Sure wish these had b-screws. I'm afraid the pivot spring in this one has given up. There is some tension, but the derailleur is pointing so far forward that the chain wrap at the cage is wierd looking. It also has difficulty shifting up the freewheel, getting hung between the big and 2nd gear down. The lowest gear I run is a 40t front, 28t rear.

Yeah, I know, it needs a new cable too.

My bike on the left. I also want to raise the brake levers a smidge, which means re-wrapping the bars.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-16-19 at 12:11 PM.