View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 06:44 AM
WOT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for your kind comments and further research and input. After 2 years of hardship induced by a heavy rider, heavy panniers and aggressive braking sometimes needed for city cycling I ain’t complaining. Quite the opposite infact.

I do think the failure was less to do with brake track wear and more to do with brake track deformation due to heavy braking pressure.

I’ve sent the old rim for recycling now but i’ll add a sketch later to illustrate my point.

In broad terms I agree, the profile of the Kinlin rim isn’t up to the job long term.

I thoroughly enjoy the tweaking, research, tweaking process but I’m also reluctant to throw the credit card at every new shiny thing that comes along without research.

I considered 3x rims that I could find in 48h drilling.
The Kinlin was the route of least resistance for a few reasons: I could reuse the spokes and nipples so no issues with length or fit. I could also order it from a reputable local vendor and get it in my hands within a couple of days.
Given that I had never even had a spoke key in my hand, let alone used one; a like for like swap really appealed to me from a getting the job done point of view.

I thought about the velocity chukker but 48h weren’t available to me in the short term and i’d have needed more research re spokes and nipples.

SJS Cycles have the Rigida Grizzly MKII ex-stock and i’d have been pretty comfortable with spokes and nipples there. The downside was the CSS braking surface. That would bring me to needing to upgrade the brakes to accept brake blocks and would leave me with a mismatched braking system. Special pads for the CSS rear and standards for the front.

That would be called project creep in my line of work.

I take your point on the disc brakes. I feel similarly but without trying I’ll never know I guess.

I’m going to look into rims that are used with the hydraulic rim brakes and various other things but essentially I’d be aiming to have this rim swapped out with a new rim or complete wheel before it fails again.

That gives me about 18months to figure out a plan, during which time a lot more components will also be replaced!!

58km on Sunday and 26km this morning. All is well.

Until the next chapter....