FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Don't think so.

My wife's car needs a new paint job after about a dozen years sitting outside in all weather. My oldest bike, about the same vintage, is protected at least half the time (inside a shed or garage). The bike's enamel paint has suffered more from dings and rubbing against fenceposts, light poles, benches, etc. than it has from the sun. If it were powder coated, it'd look much better.

But how many people will keep one bike for 12 years or more? To read these fora you'd think you needed to look for dinosaur eggs to find 9-speed parts that were state of the art that long ago.
I am curious why after only 12 years the car needs a paint job. My wife traded in an 11 year old car with only minor dings, but a beautiful finish. My truck has worked the past 15 years. Still a shine. We regularly (every other week or a month if getting lax) wash our vehicles and wax every few months, not on a schedule.
Back to bikes - keep it clean, wax once in a while. My 31 year old bike is starting to get some rust mostly from sweat and may get either painted or powder coated this winter. I commute and ride in wet and hot weather. Aside from usage nicks and dings it has faired well.