View Single Post
Old 02-21-06, 07:53 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Let me tell you about how my do it yourself (DIY) bike light project is evolving. As it started getting darker in November last year I had picked up a cygolite dual 6w halogen helmet-mount system. It's a fine light but I needed “more power” as Tim the tool man used to say. I wanted to supplement the helmet light with a handlebar light that could give me a little more distance. In addition, if it's below 25F in the mornings or raining I wear a ski helmet that has fewer vents and ear covers but no light.
In order to experiment and keep the price down I bought several items from batteryspace.com. With their free shipping special on 24 2300 mah AA batteries and a 5% discount I had enough for two sets of 12 each. That gives a nominal voltage of 14.4v. I connected two 6 AA battery holders using a waterproof switch and added a ceramic bulb holder. The batteries tuck into a water bottle.
The original plan was to temporarily attach the bulb holder and MR16 bulb via a reflector hanger to my handlebar. Before that happened I found the optronics driving lights in the forums and ordered a pair of the black plastic ones. I did play with the 12 degree spot 20 watt MR16 annoying the family and shining the light around the neighborhood until the optronics housing came in.
The first night on the rail trail was glorious. Riding at 15 – 20 mph I had almost 3 seconds of lit area ahead. As I approached pedestrians from behind they knew something was coming up behind them. Of course the nice tight beam was extra bright due to over-volting.
The light didn't quite make the full 45 minute commute. A little research brought up the LightBrain light controller. I picked up the twin controller shipped for $45. It's a little PC card that you wire between the battery and lights [ I put mine in a 35mm film canister.] It soft starts the bulb reducing initial current and extending bulb and battery life. You hook up momentary closed switch to turn on the lamp(s) and cycle up through 37%, 62%, and 100% light settings. It maintains a constant 13.2v until the battery drops lower, then runs at 12v. With the LightBrain I make the full 45 min commute.
I've experimented with some other bulbs with different wattages and degree spread. In particular, I picked up the Phillips Masterline 35w 24 degree and the Masterline 8 degree 20 watt spot. The 20 watt is supposed to put out the equivalent of 35 watts. I've also bought a Solux 17 degree 35 watt bulb. The 35 watt bulbs are bright but using one will have to wait for greater battery capacity. The biggest surprise in bulbs is that the 12 degree batteryspace.com bulb for under $2.50 actually put out a tighter whiter light than the $11 Phillips 8 degree 20 watt bulb. This was even more evident at the lower 62% setting.
Here is a parts list:
24 AA 2300 mah batteries - batteryspace.com
ceramic holder Optronics housings
20 watt 12 degree MR16 - batteryspace.com
waterproof switch
LightBrain controller

Used reflector mount from local performance bike

I plan to buy a this Li-ion batter pack and charger for next fall/winter and upgrade to the dual light system
18v Li-ion battery pack