View Single Post
Old 09-21-19, 11:50 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dayco
I almost exclusively ride the bike trails. I can't enjoy riding a bicycle with motor vehicles buzzing around me. It's just blatantly unsafe and nerve racking. What ever problems I've experienced with riding on bike trails, they pale in comparison to the dangers of a road.

Up until recently, people were generally very friendly and sociable. It seems since all these mass shootings of late, people on the trail seldom say "Good morning" or even want to make eye contact. Most don't even say "On your left" when passing. I ride mostly low density suburban and rural trails.

Still, I'm not alone in loving bike trails. For every cyclist I see anywhere, there are at least ten on a trail to every one I see on a road. Most people apparently prefer not to ride with motor vehicles unless they have to.

Another thing I've noticed lately is an increase number of factory made E-bikes on the trails. I'm not sure how legal they are on trails since most trails are posted "No motor vehicles allowed". They are technically motor powered. They haven't bothered me so far since most of the E-bike riders try to blend in and yield to pedestrians and pedal powered vehicles. They pedal as they go by and then a few hundred feet ahead they quit pedaling. They at least try to put on good 'non-motor-vehicle' show.
Illinois defines e-bikes as a:

Originally Posted by illinoisduilawyerblawg
“low speed electric bicycle” and refers to two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h), and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp).
Originally Posted by illinoisduilawyerblawg
The Illinois law makes clear that the same rules that apply to other bicycles in Illinois also apply to electric bikes. The law also permits a person to operate an electric bike “upon any bicycle path unless the municipality, county, or local authority with jurisdiction prohibits” them on that path. Municipalities in Illinois have the power to create their own separate rules regarding access to streets and highways under their jurisdiction.

https://www.illinoisduilawyerblawg.c...tive-illinois/

Just call out Good Morning or Good Afternoon etc as you pass everyone.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-22-19 at 12:15 PM. Reason: political content is not allowed in this forum