View Single Post
Old 02-06-17, 09:07 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by November Dave
You take awesome photos!

The Abbey Truing Stand Adapter works great, and there are many other good solutions off the shelf or easy enough to hack together as a DIY. I use the Abbey.
Thanks!

I think the issue is mostly the Bitex hub. The replaceable end caps are a fairly loose fit and there is no 'pilot' on them to align them to the hub. With a thru axle in place, the axle takes care of the alignment. I started off using two Feedback axle adapters (Feedback Axle Adapters For Truing Stand > Accessories > Tools > Wheel Tools | Jenson USA). Clamping the wheel in place with those is what screwed me up the first time. The wheel was crooked and I didn't realize it. I got my tension, true, and dish perfect with the crooked reference. I wasn't happy when I installed the wheel on my fork and found it WAY out.

So then I tried only using the piece that fits into the axle with the QR nipple on it. Using a typical quick release axle to clamp it into my stand, I can sorta make it work but it still won't align perfectly every time. For now, I'm going to just use my fork as my stand rather than continue to fight the alignment issues. If I build more wheels using these hubs in the future I plan to make an adapter that goes all the way through the hub like a thru axle, aligning both end caps. I'll leave it just short of the end caps with some little nipples on it and a thru hole for a quick release to clamp it all in place.

Like this:
thru axle adapter by joe jackson, on Flickr

Last edited by joejack951; 02-06-17 at 09:13 AM.