View Single Post
Old 03-25-19, 06:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Slightly off topic...but you're kinda bossy.

You've told people how to act in this thread, not to name call, to go to other threads...

If you're not actually this way, please take this as honest constructive criticism of how you come across online, said only to help.
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Ok, well, I suggested that you read the thread before you jump in, because many of the points you had raised have already been addressed....Then the usefulness of the thread to me expired. Then you resurrected the thread. I don't know what else I can do to suggest that the thread is over.

Since I am the thread starter, I assume that I have a role here as a bit of a host, and I'm trying to steer away the name calling, yes, I think that's appropriate too, in the absence of the forum moderator.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You can stop assuming and/or suggesting that the thread is over, because you lost interest in the discussion; you are NOT the host of anything here.
This is seemingly off-topic, but was brought up by the OP, @parkbrav. A while back was a dust-up on a Living Car Free Forum thread about the prerogative of the OP to delete a thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I recall a fairly recent thread, perhaps started by you, Machka, asking how do you sell an LCF/LCL lifestyle (in general), but to my dismay I couldn’t find it....
Originally Posted by Machka
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it
Originally Posted by Roody
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed? I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?
Actually, I thought the comments by @Skipjacks were kind of snarky, but I have posted to a now-closed thread:
..:Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
In fact just yesterday I posted to a different thread:
FYA see this now-closed thread, started 7/12/13, “How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face" (probably closed because of some overt hostility). While it was still civil, I posted:
Do you think that smilies (emoticons) help in fleshing out the vibes and flow of conversation and personal interaction in a posted message? It seems that Bike Forums provide a pretty wide range of smilies to express and vitalize as it were one's comments.

Personally, I do try to express any emotive content in writing as precisely as I can. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary is on my bookmark list to find the right synonym for any key words I use.

One thing that compelled me to reconsider smilies though was this. I once saw an ad in a sports magazine for something [Radio Shack] being endorsed by Lance Armstrong. He was quoted as something like, "No man over thirty should ever use smilies...period."
I guess I initially approach virtually all posts as sincere, though I sometimes wonder why some posts are submitted at all. Even when a poster is called out as a troll, I still reserve on that judgement until it becomes obvious. FWIW…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-25-19 at 06:26 AM.