Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Excuse me?
1) Component comparability has ALWAYS been an issue. An aesthetic issue. One does not just throw random vintage parts on a frame from the days of toe clips just because they can function together. DA does not go on Italian bikes from the '70s. That is the very definition of a "Frankenbike" in it's most negative aspect.

2) Don't spend money on any tool or component until you're absolutely sure it's right for its intended purpose? Say Whaaat? How is one ever going to make progress on N+1, if not by impulsively buying frames, calipers, cranks, derailleurs, and even bottom brackets, just because they might be wanted someday. And that leaves out whole bicycles and WHEELS, my God, how could you leave out wheels???

I bought my Litespeed Blade, a bare frame, because it was there. It went from having Spinergy wheels (off a Kestrel), to Zipp 400s, to a rear disc, to specialized tri-spoke wheels (now on that KKestrel) and currently sporting Corima carbon clinchers. Imagine it with a pair of Mad Fibers...

My point is, if I had not been infatuated with the beauty of these wheels, etc. I never would have put together or ridden (for a time) three very different world-class (in their day) TT bikes. I feel richer, and lucky for having done so.

Of course not all builds are as rewarding, but one adjusts and moves on. I bought a magnesium stem for the Litespeed, that was totally wrong. Beautiful as an object, but way to chunky. It found a home with someone else... That's the beauty of Frankenbikes.

Stay tubular, Eric
Fully concur wrt aesthetic compatibility - my first build was a Hetchins with full Campagnolo, assembled from parts boxes - not a Shimano part in sight. But there was no issue about whether the brake levers would work with the calipers, no concerns whether the shifters would work with the Nuovo Record RD would work with the Regina freewheel. That was back in the 70s - I’m pretty sure the Hetchins with my build is still there somewhere in the UK