View Single Post
Old 09-01-19, 10:19 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Quick home repairs

Originally Posted by WOT
No Truing Stand, dishing tool or
No Spoke Tension Meter

I mounted the wheel into the frame and began dialing in tension, hop, dish etc.

48 spokes are a bit of a nightmare to chase around the rim, I admit I thought I was going a bit crazy at one stage.

My goal was to get it good enough that I could cycle it for the coming week. I’m running 47-622 at the rear with minimal clearance to the mudguard and the chainstays.

New Rim Tape, Tube and mounted up the tyre. Perfect clearance! Result.

Brought it for a 10km cycle and there were a a few creaks and pings from the rear. I did get a little bit of rubbing. 10minutes of micro adjustments later and it’s like new again.

All in all, I know it’s not 100% and I’ll get it onto a trying stand in the next week BUT it’s unbelievably satisfying to have gotten it to this point with only a spoke key, a ruler, some chain lube and some tape.
Amazing home repair. I've had to do this a few times myself. Rims wear out from the rim brake pad wear and will do this. Nowadays they sometimes machine in a channel right where the brake pads rub and when you get down to the depth of the machined line you replace the rim. If this rim failed for some other reason then I would be skeptical about replacing with one like it. Of all the bicycles I've owned and the thousands of miles I have ridden with rim brakes I only had one rim fail due to brake pad wear. That rim was a rear 20" rim on a Rans Gliss recumbent. Rear wheels on recumbents typically do most of the braking. It took about 12 years before the rim started to fail. I rented a high end carbon fiber full suspension MTB 3 years ago with hydraulic disc brakes. I told the fellow I rented it from that I was going to wear the disc pads out on one trip down Downieville downhill. He told me the discs pads only lasted a couple of weeks in rental service before being changed out and mine had plenty of meat left. I wore the pads down to metal half way down the hill. The last part was all screechy, grabby braking. I know that disc's are all the rage but I'm not sold on their overall performance. I am a heavy guy and all of us heavy people test bicycle components more severely than lighter people do. Good job replacing that rim.