Old 07-12-19, 11:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How died in the wool as a commuter?
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I did twelve years all seasons to work and wondered how many folks do that? I only bikes about eight miles.

but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78 in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be.

How about you folks? Be Well. Bluesfrog
I have described myself as a “decades-long, year-round cycle commuter” of variable intensity, but always with enthusiasm.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs...
For the past few years, circa 2012 to currently, I have been hampered by some medical maladies and cycling injuries, including a 2012 accident that kept me off work for three months, and off the bike for five.

However I have described my most serious impediment:
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
but,
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-13-19 at 03:22 AM.