View Single Post
Old 05-29-19, 09:34 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You'd be surprised how often randos get out of cell range. ...

On the navigation subject, I'm now downloading the maps for the area I'm riding in.
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Cell access is much more spotty than you realize ....
I met the OP on a brevet earlier this month, so my comment on cell coverage was more oriented towards the areas close to us.

You are quite right on spotty cell coverage for some of the areas where cycling is good. In my bike touring travels I have found lots of places with no coverage. I was really surprised how much of Northern California along the coast had no coverage on one of my bike tours, I had Sprint and my touring buddy had ATT, yet we were using pay phones (remember them?) to make reservations at hostels and when I had wifi in restaurants I was using intenet calling (Google Voice) to make phone calls.

I am a retired Geological Engineer. I worked with maps almost every day of my professional career. I use a GPS for navigation, not a phone, I ALWAYS have the maps on my GPS for where I go. Plus I also have the maps on my smartphone as a backup.

A side note off topic, if you leave the country for a trip, I suggest having an internet phone capability. On my phone I use Google Voice (with Hangouts app and Hangouts Dialer), and before I had a smartphone I had Google Voice on my laptop computer. When in Hungary one of my credit cards stopped working and I called the credit card company using motel wifi and my laptop to talk to them. And when I was in Iceland and one of my cards stopped working I used Google Voice on a smartphone (with no sim card) on the hostel wifi to call my credit card company. And I can get voice mail messages e-mailed to me with a recording.