View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 05:51 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Oops, maybe bit off more that I can chew

Somewhat impulsively, shortly after picking up my new Domane SLR and a second set of wheels mounted with 40mm gravel tires, I signed up for the CO2UT gravel race in western Colorado, eastern Utah. I was watching all of my go to events go virtual or disappear, and thought the October 10 start date was a possibility.

The events I usually do are rides, not races, and the organizers have always portrayed them as such. On the few occasions that I'm not encouraging a friend or family member to meet a new challenge, I get to join fast groups at these events, but it is always social and never for bragging rights, let alone medals.

As I've monitored the event site, it is clear this is a race, at least at the longer distances, and has attracted the type of riders who are there for more than just the right to say they did it.

On top of that, the 100 mile version I've chosen has 5000 ft. of climbing in short, sharps bursts. Been there, done that, but rumor (and the video I just watched) has it that one of the climbs hits a 30% grade. In order to avoid confusion for my di2 shifting, the gravel wheel set has the same 11 - 30 cassette as the road wheels, which also maxes out the Dura Ace rear derailleur. I'm thinking that 30% may be a road too steep for my 34 - 30 granny gear. The only good news is that, by the time I am walking, the racers may already be up the road.

If you were in my shoes, would you bail now or give it a go?